Carl, a student of international business, did not think twice about his career choice – “My father has built a successful career in business, and it has inspired me”
Carl Johan Valikangas, a student of international business at Oamk, speaks warmly about the practical nature of his studies and the great amount of group work involved.
Business has always fascinated Carl Johan Valikangas, so applying for studies in the field was clear to him.
– My father has built a successful career as a businessman, and it has inspired me to do something similar. Our family has travelled a lot and lived in many different countries because of my father’s work. I’m fascinated by the idea of being able to see how business is handled in different parts of the world through my work, Carl says.
Before studying international business at Oulu University of Applied Sciences, Carl had already studied business and economics at a university in England. However, he had to interrupt his studies and move out of the country because of economic considerations related to Brexit and the coronavirus pandemic.
– My father’s family is from Ii, so it seemed natural to move to Oulu, which is close by. I wanted to continue studying business here, so I applied for international business studies at Oamk.
Rewarding studies at Oamk
Carl has enjoyed studying at Oamk, although some of the course contents are a repeat of what he already studied in England.
– On the other hand, it’s good to review things, so you really learn them.
Carl has been impressed by the teachers’ emphasis on teaching and efforts to provide the best possible education.
– I also like the very practical approach in my studies. In England, my studies focused much more on theory.
Carl is also pleased with the amount of group work.
– In our studies, we do a lot of group work and solve problems together. I’ve always loved team sports, and in my studies, I also enjoy teamwork.
Dreaming of a career as business consultant
Oulu is a place of study to Carl’s liking. He likes the fact that it is not too big, yet not too small.
– There are a lot of different things to do in Oulu, but life here is not as hectic as it can be in larger cities.
Carl has not yet decided whether he will stay in Oulu after graduation.
– It depends on the job opportunities.
Carl’s future dream career is a business consultant.
– It would be great to help companies solve problems and guide them in making arrangements that help them grow their business.
“Oamk is a great higher education institution”
According to Carl, international business studies require students to show problem-solving skills, creativity and the ability to think outside the box.
– These studies present you with many questions that must be solved. I think it’s also important to take risks and test your abilities.
Carl recommends international business studies at Oamk to anyone with an interest in business and economics.
– Oamk is a great university, and I think it has a lot of potential to continue to improve.