Separate study rights
If you have interrupted your studies at some point, you can reapply for a separate study right in order to complete your studies. This requires that you do not currently have a valid study right to professional teacher education and that you aim to finish your education started earlier in Finland.
- The applicant shall commit to finishing the studies in either professional teacher education, guidance counselor training or special vocational teacher studies he or she has previously started at a Finnish school of professional teacher education.
- The applicant must meet the eligibility requirements for professional teacher education.
- The applicant does not currently have a valid study right for the programme. The applicant has terminated the degree programme or the student's study period has terminated.
- The applicant must have earlier completed at least 10 ECTS. These studies may have been earned at another school of professional teacher education.
- In addition to the above, a separate right to study may also be granted to an applicant who has an equivalence decision from the National Board of Education, according to which the applicant must complete studies in teacher education at a Finnish university as supplementary studies.
- The applicant has paid the application processing fee.
- The applicant will pass an interview or selection test, if applicable.
- The unit's resources allow the student to be accepted to the degree programme.
Professional teacher education involves health requirements. In the application form, applicants are asked to provide information about any health-related factors that may form obstacles for their studies. In addition, the selection of students may be affected by any previous decisions on the cancellation of study rights. In the application form, applicants are asked to provide information about any previous cancellation of study rights due to their health or any endangerment of other people's safety (Act 953/2011).
Application and processing fee
A separate right to study is applied for with an electronic form in the Studyinfo (Opintopolku in Finnish). Applying for a separate study right is an ongoing process. Fill in the electronic application form and add the necessary attachments. Processing applications for separate study rights is subject to a fee of EUR 50 (Decree 1440/2014). The processing fee is nonreturnable.
Attachments of the application
Attachments of the application
- Diploma of eligibility
- Equivalence decision for a university degree obtained outside Finland
- Certificates of professional experience required for eligibility
- Up-to-date transcript of records from previous studies
- Certificate of termination of studies
Those who have previously studied at Oulu University of Applied Sciences do not need to add these attachments to the application.
All applicants have to pay the processing fee of EUR 50 and attach a receipt of the payment with the application.
Payment recipient: Oulun ammattikorkeakoulu Oy
Account number (IBAN): FI32 5741 4020 0600 54
Enter the following in the message field: Oamk 10208
Selection as a separate student and the change application procedure
Applications will be processed in the last week of each month in the order of arrival, including applications received by the end of the previous week. The School of Professional Teacher Education will notify each applicant of the result of the student selection process within two weeks after making the selection decision. The approved applicant will have at least seven (7) days to accept the decision.
Study right period
The study right is granted for a maximum of one year. The right to study begins after the notification in accordance with the selection decision, but no later than the beginning of the month following the notification.