Professional Teacher Education
Have you thought about becoming a qualified teacher? We offer teacher education in English in Oulu. If you are thinking to become a qualified teacher, apply to our education in 5.-21.1.2021.
Professional teacher education studies are meant for vocational teachers and teacher candidates who plan to work at vocational institutions or at universities of applied sciences. Studies in the Professional Teacher Education Programme consist of 60 ECTS credits and provide you with teacher qualifications in your own professional field.
At the School of Professional Teacher Education we offer flexible individualized study paths. Combining study and work is well feasible with our blended forms of learning. You can spread your studies over a period of three years or you can graduate even in a year. It’s up to you! Our combination of summer, autumn and spring semesters facilitates year-round studying.
Professional teacher education provides you with modern qualifications to implement teaching in a contemporary competence-based education system. During your studies you will demonstrate and share your competencies, supplement your prior learning and study completely new areas of pedagogical interest according to your Personal Study Plan (HOPS).
Professional Teacher Education Program
Teacher education programme is meant for teachers and teacher applicants who plan to work at universities of applied sciences or at vocational institutions/colleges. The programme combines various learning environments and multiform methods: contact teaching in Oulu, group work, e-learning, teaching practice in an educational institution, self-study and digital learning solutions.
- Language of instruction: English
- Number of credits: 60 ECTS credits
- Qualification: Finnish pedagogical teaching qualification
- Application deadline: 21.1.2021
- Note: Please notice that this on-line programme might not make you eligible for a study-based residence permit in Finland for non-EU/EEA citizens. You may not be granted a visa based on these studies. Teacher education process is pre planned for a period of one year, but the students have up to 3 years to complete the 60 credit teacher programme
Forms of study
- The studies begin as contact teaching in Oulu. They continue online, where students meet at agreed times in webinars.
- In addition to the contact and online study days, students work in teams according to an agreed schedule. Studying requires a commitment to the team’s work.
- The students are selected from those who have applied specifically to this group. The applicant’s field of study does not affect the selection. 20 students are selected based on their admission points.
- The studies are entirely in English. The students must possess good oral and written English language skills (e.g. IELTS 6, B2 according European Framework of Languages). The applicant may be asked to provide an English language certificate and/or the applicant may be interviewed to evaluate his/her English language skills.
- Please notice that this on-line programme might not make you eligible for a study-based residence permit in Finland for non-EU/EEA citizens. You may not be granted a visa based on these studies.
General information about the studies:
- The studies are competence based. You will progress in your studies according to a personal study plan (PSP) based on a guidance discussion. You will assess, develop and demonstrate your skills in different learning environments and situations. The length of the study period is individual, and it is possible to study all year round.
- Your studies include contact and distance learning, working independently and in a team, as well as studying in your own workplace and in your teaching practice. The studies use diverse learning environments and tools, as well as various working methods.
- The scheduled work in the study groups (consisting of 19 study days) is planned for the first year of study. In addition to this, you will study and work on the competence goals independently and, at other times, with your team. The study groups’ schedules are published on our website at the beginning of the application period.
- In the study group, your will focus on the studies of professional pedagogical competence in teacher education. You will complete the basics of educational science, optional studies and teaching practice according to your own personal study plan (PSP).
- The content of the contact days is shaped according to the needs of the study group and the students' competence-based study path. Team and personal tutoring is an integral part of the study group's work.
- Studies require skills in use of information and communication tools and active participation in different digital learning environments. The student must have a microphone, web camera and a reliable, high capacity internet connection. The student should also have the administrator rights to their own computer in order to install necessary software or plug-ins.
- More information about the studies from Student’s Guide.